You have exceeded your shopping time limit and your shopping cart has been emptied.
Welcome to the heart of Reston’s 1,300 acres of open space and the home of environmental education opportunities for all ages. Enjoy year-round access to trails, free parking and restroom facilities from dawn to dusk.
Address: Walker Nature Center, 11450 Glade Drive, Reston, VA 20191
Newsletter: Read Branching Out. Contact email@example.com to join our mailing list.
Nature House Hours:
Mondays and Wednesdays-Fridays 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Saturdays 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
Sundays 1 p.m.-4 p.m.
Closed to public on Tuesdays and on RA holidays.
Please follow these rules while at the nature center.
• Stay on the trail.
• Keep pets on a leash.
• Clean up after your pet.
• Leave all plants and animals where you find them.
• Put waste into trash cans or recycling containers or carry it out with you.
• Do not smoke within 50 yards of the building, pavilion and fire ring.
If you would like to bring a group to the nature center, please call ahead to arrange your visit. Groups may request special programs at least three weeks in advance of their desired dates.
The Walker Nature Center provides a variety of educational and recreational resources, programs and facilities. Through the use of direct experiences and interpretive media, the mission of the center is to foster good environmental stewardship in the community. The center was named after Reston’s first Open Space and Nature Center Director, Vernon J. Walker who was hired in 1967. Mr. Walker believed in a healthy coexistence of nature and people.
• A LEED Gold education building known as Nature House.
• 72 acres of woodlands
• One mile of loop trails
• Picnic tables & pavilion
• Fire ring
• Trailside benches
• Interpretive signs
• Memorial sundial
• Demonstration meadow
• Demonstration naturescaping gardens
• The Glade Stream Valley
• Snakeden Branch stream’s entrance to 44-acre Lake Audubon
The nature center conducts a variety of on-site and outreach activities for people of all ages. These nature programs support environmental education and action. Together we can conserve and enjoy Reston’s beautiful natural areas. Come hike, paddle, stargaze, toast a marshmallow or slosh in a stream with us.
Visit RA’s WebTrac site for details about our public programs and online activity registration.
• All Ages Nature Programs & Workshops
• Babes in the Woods Toddler Programs (ages 18 – 35 months)
• Preschool Nature Programs (ages 3-5 years)
• Elementary Nature Programs (ages 5-12 years)
• Adult Nature Programs & Presentations
• Bird Walks
• Wildlife Counts & Classes
• Nature Center Special Events
• Nature Tots Camp (ages 3-5 years)
• Walker’s Rangers Camp (ages 6-9 years)
The Nature Center can lead a program for your class, youth group or family upon special request. Read more about the following private program offerings on this website.
• Birthday Parties for Children
• School Programs
• Scout and Youth Group Programs
• Service Projects
Activity packs and nature trunks are also available on loan to school teachers and youth group leaders.
Looking for the perfect spot for a community meeting, family gathering or business retreat? Affordable and attractive rentals of the Nature House multi-purpose room, pavilion and fire ring are available. Visit the RA WebTrac site for details and reservations.
Volunteers make the difference. Would you like to share your time, energy and skills with the nature center? We’re looking for:
• Welcome Desk Attendants
• Trail and Garden Assistants
• Special Event Assistants
• Guest Speakers and Instructors
Click here to apply or learn more about environmental volunteer opportunities.
Donations to the Walker Nature Center are gratefully received by Friends of Reston, our 501c3 supporting organization, 11450 Glade Drive, Reston VA 20191.