Blog: Dogwood Pool Mosaic Sculpture
Click here for printable facts about the renovation.
Dogwood Pool Facts
- 2460 Green Range Drive, Reston (map)
- The current facility is a small, shallow pool with no modern features.
- The bath house is not ADA compliant.
- A reserve study, conducted by RA in 2005, noted the pool would need to be replaced in eight years (2013.)
- Only aquatic facility in the medium to high density neighborhood of mostly town homes and multi-family housing.
Renovation Plans- Overview
- Creates more vibrant and valued community facility.
- Part of Reston Association’s long range pool renovation strategy.
- Storm water management will be handled through onsite detention.
- BMP’s will be handled through dedication of conservation easement on site.
- Additional parking.
- Improved pathway for pedestrian circulation.
- A picnic pavilion with grills and an arbor with bench seating.
- Accessible spray & play water feature available April-October outside the pool fence, with consideration for a commissioned art-piece fountain through the Initiative for Public Art Reston (IPAR) process.
- New ADA accessible bath house with solar collectors.
- Exterior bathroom entrance for pavilion patrons.
- Underground cistern to collect water/gray water for irrigation.
- Future children’s tot lot.
- Large shade structures.
- Zero depth entry with spray features and small fountain.
- 25-meter lap pool with diving well and board.
- Play pool with bench seating.
- Required and enhanced landscaping with native materials.
- 2010 Design and permitting.
- 2010-2011 Final DRB reviews and approvals (with neighbor notification.)
- 2011 Final permits, demolition and construction.
- 2012 Construction and permitting.
- 2013 Grand Re-opening, Saturday, May 11
- Community input & information gathering
- 1,000 nearby residents notified of community meeting to discuss renovation.
- September: community meeting held at Southgate Community Center.
2008-2010 Pool Season
- Pool patrons invited to make comments at the pool via Dogwood Pool customer comment cards placed at the pool for along with concept drawings of the redesign.
- Advertisements in local newspapers and Reston Association publications and website.
- The RA Board of Directors and Full Design Review Board (DRB) received renovation updates with conceptual plans.
- October Reston Planning and Zoning Committee.
- January, – The RA DRB approved the conceptual layout and program.
- March 24, 2011 – The Reston Association Board of Directors voted to keep Dogwood Pool closed for the summer in order to begin renovations.
- Aug. 16, 2011 – Updated plans reviewed by the RA Design Review Board.
- September – DRB informational and lighting approval meetings.
- October – Final site plan review.
- November – Building permit.
- December–May – Construction.
- April – Received all permits and will begin construction.
- September-December – Construction
- January-May – Final punch list items related to construction.
- May 11 – Grand Re-opening Ceremony, 10 a.m.