You have exceeded your shopping time limit and your shopping cart has been emptied.
Since 2013, Reston Association has asked its Habitat Heroes volunteers and residents to help remove the invasive plant called garlic mustard in order to preserve ecosystem health and habitat in our natural areas. The annual spring-time event is called the Garlic Mustard Challenge. The 2017 challenge runs April 3-July 24.
For the 2017 challenge, volunteers can track pounds removed by clicking here.
Volunteers who participated in the 2016 Garlic Mustard Challenge pulled 3,320 pounds of the invasive plant this year, which exceeds last year's total by 2,186 pounds. The winners of the challenge include the following:
Individual Category Winner
Patricia Wagner: 2,360 pounds
CA Technologies: 354.7 pounds
Reston Environmental Action: 176 pounds
Scouts, families, church groups, businesses, community organizations, school groups, groups of friends and individuals are encouraged to enter in a category:
- Small Group (less than 10)
- Large Group (more than 10)
1. Attend RA’s Habitat Heroes in the spring and learn how to identify and pull garlic mustard. RA staff will weigh your bags at these events.
2. Pull, bag, weigh and keep track of the pounds. RA can also weigh the bags and keep track for you.
3. Businesses, community organizations, scouts, school groups, etc., may also set up a special work day during a weekday to visit of the many RA sites to pull garlic mustard with the help of RA staff.
Whoever pulls the most pounds of garlic mustard per category will win a prize.
Questions? Call 703-435-6552 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Click here to register for other Habitat Heroes projects.)